Wintertime carbon monoxide health advisory – CARB

Posted on December 14, 2007. Filed under: Uncategorized |

 As winter approaches, the California Air Resources board is urging residents to take steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at home and at work.

“Carbon monoxide can be a deadly poison,” said Chairman Mary Nichols. “It is critical that Californians have indoor combustion appliances, such as heaters, stoves, fireplaces and wood stoves, checked annually to prevent illness or death. Installing and maintaining a carbon monoxide monitor can also save lives.”

Each year, 100’s die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. Even below lethal levels, exposure to carbon monoxide may cause flu-like symptoms. These tragedies are easily
preventable.

Nearly half of the deaths are from malfunctioning or improperly vented combustion appliances. Proper use and maintenance of appliances that produce a flame such as gas furnaces, gas and propane space heaters, and barbecues, can prevent exposure to lethal levels of carbon monoxide.

Here are some tips from CARB & epa on how you can protect yourself, your family and loved ones:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/combustion.htm and
http://www.arb.ca.gov/cap/handbooks/wood_burning_handbook.pdf


 
Advertisements

Make a Comment

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Liked it here?
Why not try sites on the blogroll...

%d bloggers like this: